November! Bring on Thanksgiving. We’re headed south to celebrate an early Thanksgiving with extended family. We’ve been planning our eats via Facebook, and wow. It’s going to be a feast.
October was a good month. I’ve eaten so many apples and enjoyed many a mug of apple cider. We’ve had a couple of bonfires in the backyard, went on a couple of hikes, and generally enjoyed the slower pace of this season. Here’s what I set out to do last month in the way of goals:
- More baking. Didn’t really happen. I made a batch of cookies. Does that count?
- Rock a 10k. I wouldn’t say I rocked it. My body just wasn’t feeling the speed I thought it was capable of. I did, however, PR by 10 seconds.
- Finish my current knitting project. It’s done! I finished a scarf for Bob that I started last winter. Then, when we found out we were going to become Aunt and Uncle, more adorable knitting projects took priority.
- Pull off the anniversary party we are planning for my in-laws. Done. They had a great time!
- Try 1 new recipe. Did you see Sausage, Spinach, and Quinoa Skillet? Divine.
Now that it’s November, fall is definitely making it’s exit as the temperatures gets chillier, the daylight gets shorter, and snow is making its appearance. On the list for this month:
- Survive this first week. It’s a busy one. I have several extra things for work, as well as two music gigs on the weekend.
- Look at my phone less. Much less. The amount of time I spend mindlessly scrolling is getting out of control.
- Start another knitting project.
- Enjoy a couple of weekend trips–one to Indiana and one to the Detroit area.
- Keep moving! I’m without a race goal currently, and I’m floundering in the exercise department.
- Blog a new-to-me recipe.
I wanna know: What are you up to this month?
This is fall in a skillet. I’ve made it three times in as many weeks, and will probably make it again soon–it’s that good! Sausage, spinach, cranberries, quinoa, all cooked in chicken broth and apple cider. Yes, apple cider. Intrigued?
Sausage, Spinach, and Quinoa Skillet
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 12-16 oz sausage–whatever type your prefer
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/3 dried cranberries
1. Slice your sausage and dice your onion. Put olive oil in a large skillet or pot which has a well-fitting lid. Heat over medium high.
2. Add sausage and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach. It will look like a lot at first, but then wilts after a couple minutes. Add salt and pepper.
3. Once the spinach is fully wilted, add the cider and chicken broth, and increase the heat until it boils. Add quinoa, turn heat back to medium, and put the lid on it. Leave the lid on, and let it simmer for 25 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat, add cranberries, put the lid back on, and allow it to stand for 5 minutes.
Yesterday was so full of all things wonderful. We started the day by canning some applesauce. Bob graciously volunteered to finish up the process (thank you!) so I could go horseback riding with some old friends (thanks again!).We wrapped up our day with wings at BWW and a Michigan Tech hockey game at Ferris State. WE WON. Go Tech.
In other news, the colors are almost all off the trees up here. It’s been a GORGEOUS fall. I have no complaints.
Here’s some links for you Sunday web surfing:
Darcy sent me free online photography tutorials. They look great, and are totally going to be a winter project!
Ever struggle with introducing people to each other? Here is a better way to introduce your friends at parties.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip. It’s a problem. I love it so.
Home, gym, and pool workouts. Great ideas to save you from “swim 1000 yards” or “run 4 miles.” Also, some great, short do-while-you-watch-TV toning ideas. I’m definitely trying some of these this winter!
Joy the Baker posted her favorite autumn eats. Delicious.
Enjoy your Sunday, friends!