When I was growing up, pot roast was the quintessential Sunday dinner meal. So easy, so quick. Throw everything in a crock pot before church, and when you return, dinner is served!
Another great thing: pot roast is extremely flexible. You can add whatever you like to the mix! Though I used a venison roast, you can use whatever you like (or have in your freezer).
- a roast
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2-3 potatoes, chopped into quarters
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 pints (or a 15 oz can) stewed tomatoes
- salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage, basil
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Rub salt into the outside of the roast. Once the oil is heated, seer the roast on all sides.
2. Add roast, wine, tomatoes, carrots, onions, and potatoes to the crock pot. Mix.
3. Add seasonings to taste, approximately 1/4 tsp. of each, more or less to taste.
4. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, until potatoes and carrots are soft.
5. Serve and enjoy!