Sometimes, you bake something and it’s OK. Not blow-you-over-amazing, but still decent. It will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth’s craving, and you might even bake it again. But you’re not so unswervingly dedicated to it.
And then sometimes, you tweak it a bit. You read a few more recipes, you add a couple of ingredients, maybe swap one or two, and you’ve found IT. And IT is clearly superior. True story.
Black Raspberry Cobbler
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
- Pour one cup of berries into ramekin. Lightly toss with 1/4 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine a scant 1/2 cup of flour, 1 Tbs. and 1 tsp. sugar, and 3/4 tsp. baking powder.
- With a fork, mix in 1 and 1/2 Tbs. cold butter.
- Once combined into a crumbly mixture, add 1/4 cup milk.
- Mix into a wet dough, and put on top of berries.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes (until the top is golden brown, and no longer doughy).
Sweet berries, fluffy cobbler crust: what’s not to enjoy?
Maybe it’s the frugal, Dutch girl in me, but I really can’t get over picking free berries. I went back. I’m addicted. I’ll probably go again tomorrow. I just can’t get enough.
Using this recipe for ingredient ratios, my little cornflower blue ramekin for portion control, and the berries I picked, I made dessert. Black raspberry dessert, to be specific.
Black Raspberry Crumble
Adapted from My Culinary Sanctuary
- Blend 1/4 cup flour with 2 Tbs. cold butter. Use a fork to incorporate the butter with the flour; you’re going for a crumbly consistency.
- Add 1/8 cup brown sugar and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Mix with fork.
- Fill ramekin two-thirds of the way with berries. Sprinkle with small amount of white sugar, if desired. Pour crumble mixture on top. You might not need all of the crumble mixture. Use just enough to cover the berries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (or until golden brown on top).
- Invert into bowl and top with whipped cream.
Interested in more ramekin sized desserts? Check out Apple Crisp for One and Ramekin Spice Cake.
I wanna know: Are you baking anything this weekend?
For free! There are wild black raspberries that grow by the campus soccer field, free for the picking. Love it.
Oh summer berries, how I love thee.
Whenever I pick berries, I eat about 25% of what I pick. Straight off the bush. It’s the way to go, I’m convinced. On my way home, I was contemplating all of the wonderful things that I could do with my bucket o’ berries. Cobbler? Crumble? Pie?
The verdict? Yogurt and granola and berries. Simple. Refreshing. Tasty.
I wanna know: What’s your go-to summer treat?
You can’t get better than ice cream in my book!